We have wonderful natural alternatives to harmful sprays and perfumes that can mess with our hormones and the air quality in our homes thanks to essential oils.
Sprays made from essential oils are simple to use, easy to make at home, and good for the whole family!
In this guide, we’ll show you how to make your own DIY essential oil spray, how to use it, and some deliciously fragrant recipes that you can experiment with to find your perfect blend.
Why Use Essential Oil Sprays?
Essential oils can be your go-to tool if you need to reduce stress, calm down, improve your mood, or feel more energized.
They can assist in deodorization, allergy relief, stress reduction, insect repellency, skin condition recovery, and disinfection.
You can use the oils topically, internally, in your diffuser for aromatherapy, or in spray blends, depending on what you want them to do.
While many people use oils separately, mixing them into blends can increase their effectiveness by utilizing the advantages of several oils at once.
One of the most convenient and secure ways to use essential oils is through sprays (see also “Best Essential Oils For Fleas: Natural Ways To Keep Pets Pest Free“).
They provide you access to the advantages of the oils in a variety of ways that other users do not.
How To Make DIY Essential Oil Spray
Before you start creating your own essential oil blends, you’ll need some basic ingredients and tools.
Once you have everything you need, you can start experimenting with different combinations and blends.
For your DIY essential oil spray, you will need:
- 20 drops of the essential oil of your choice
- 1 oz of witch hazel containing alcohol
- 1 oz of distilled water
- 2 oz glass spray bottle
Depending on the size of your spray bottle, you can adjust this basic recipe accordingly.
Generally, you’ll need around 10 drops of essential oil for every 1 oz in your spray bottle.
- Fill half of the glass spray bottle with witch hazel.
- Add the drops of your essential oil.
- Top the bottle up with distilled water.
- Secure the spray piece onto the bottle and shake well.
- Shake each time before use to stop the essential oils from settling at the bottom.
Essential Oil Spray Blend For You To Try
Now that you know the basics of making your own DIY essential oil spray, you can start trying different blends that will serve different purposes (see also “Can You Spray Peppermint Oil On Plants?“).
If you need some ideas to get started, take a look at some of our favorites!
Your kitchen will smell orchard-fresh thanks to this citrusy concoction of essential oils that includes lemon, sweet orange, bergamot, and lime.
- 3 drops of bergamot essential oil
- 5 drops of sweet orange essential oil
- 5 drops of lime essential oil
- 7 drops of lemon essential oil
With this crisp, fresh combination of lemongrass, peppermint, and eucalyptus essential oils, your bathroom will have the aroma of spring.
- 4 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 6 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 8 drops of lemongrass essential oil
After a hard day, there’s nothing better than a good night’s sleep, especially when your bedroom smells so delicious.
You’ll be rewarded with a well-earned, deep sleep thanks to this pleasant, calming combination of lavender, Roman chamomile, and marjoram essential oils.
- 6 drops of marjoram essential oil
- 6 drops of Roman chamomile essential oil
- 8 drops of lavender essential oil
If you want to create a certain atmosphere in your bedroom, this complex, sensual blend is sure to get the ball rolling!
- 2 drops of ylang-ylang essential oil
- 2 drops of vetiver essential oil
- 2 drops of anise essential oil
- 2 drops of sandalwood essential oil
- 3 drops of rosewood essential oil
- 3 drops of clary sage essential oil
- 3 drops of jasmine essential oil
- 3 drops of geranium essential oil
This versatile, herbal blend of basil, juniper, and peppermint essential oils is a great way to give any room in your home a well-needed refresh.
- 3 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 7 drops of basil essential oil
- 10 drops of juniper essential oil
Give your party a refreshing spritz of this delightful blend of honeysuckle, grapefruit, vanilla, and palmarosa essential oils.
- 4 drops of vanilla essential oil
- 5 drops of palmarosa essential oil
- 5 drops of grapefruit essential oil
- 6 drops of honeysuckle essential oil
Nasty bugs won’t stand a chance against this blend of citronella, peppermint, and eucalyptus essential oils.
- 6 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 6 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 8 drops of citronella essential oil
As you can see, making your own DIY essential oil spray is easy.
You can now fill your home with delicious scents and benefit from our recommendations for essential oil blends (see also “17 Great Ways To Use Raven Essential Oil Blend“)!